Thursday, April 17, 2008

Crappie setups

Everybody,

I got a couple emails last night about the setup I was using yesterday.

There's nothing fancy about it. Ultralight spinning rod with 2lb mono. The rig is a "spring style" clip on bobber 24 inches above a gold or red aberdeen style hook. I crimped two bb sized split shots on just below half way between the hook and the bobber to keep the minnow down.

You can run this rig just fine, or substitute a slip bobber for the clip on. Aberdeen style hooks are classic crappie hooks, but octopus style ones work pretty good for tailhooking minnows. If you need some hooks, there's packs of multicolored aberdeen hooks at the shop that I'd recommend.

As for bait, I'd take a mixed bag of minnows. Get a dozen large fatheads for every two dozen small fatheads. A dozen or two rosie reds never hurts. Five or six dozen minnows may seem like alot, but two guys could easily go through that if they are on the fish.

CT

No comments: