Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sunday Evening Update

Well gang, I just spent a hour on the phone and checking emails. Here's what I got:

Lakes still have alot of ice on them, but there's some sketchy ice, especially by the shore. The ice is also super sloppy. Standard disclaimers apply to fishing late ice, please be careful and spud your way in and out. A pfd is never a bad idea either.

The river situation is mixed.

The Dells are open, but the launch and the river has been busy. It was described to me by a guide a few minutes ago as resembling Chicago, during Rush Hour, in a blizzard with a jackknifed semi on every possible route in or out of town. I know its a little poetic, but the pressure is getting to the fish apparently. People who were out during the past week reported much better catches than those coming in the last couple of days.

The Rock River is still iced up for the most part. The channel/flow is open, but the launches and shoreline still have some ice. Newville is open apparently, but the Fort Atkinson and Jefferson Area Luanches are still dicey. There are a few people hitting open water spots from shore, although I don't have any good information on how they are doing. The flows are very strong and the Rock is approaching flood stage. You'll need heavy tackle this year, but the run should be fabulous. Bring an extra anchor and make sure your trolling motoris working at peak.

Parts of the Fox River around Oshkosh are starting to open up. I didn't hear from my guy there yet this evening, but I believe he may have made it out at Ceape Street near the mouth. I know Rainbow Park was froze up good as of this morning. If I hear something yet tonight, I'll update this post.

Winnecone is still frozen in good. The launch at the Fin is still blocked, despite a report on Lake-Link apparently.

That's what I got for now. I'd say the Dells are your open water option until next weekend.

Stay Tuned,
CT

No comments: